Everyone we have spoken to says “What a brilliant evening” and we are writing to say a big thank you to everyone who made this such a huge success -
· Dave and Sue Williamson and the staff of Derwentwater Marina for hosting us all.
· Our super Race Director in the start boat - Rob Sanderson and his crew Malc Grout.
· Our enthusiastic Tiger Boat Helms - Mark Aplin, Tim Mather, Richard Robinson, John Mc Carthy. (They gave up an evening the week before to train together with Rob Sanderson)
· Our hawk eyed Timekeepers - Guy Murray and Bea Deacon, who sat in the finish boat getting cold!
· The teams who drove a long way, on a mid-week evening to come to Derwentwater and their Club Captains who got the teams together -
1. West Cumbria A Elaine Jordan
2. West Cumbria B Heather Compton
3. Carlisle Jamie Brown
4. Copeland Mark Jones
5. Duddon John Sherwen
6. Penrith Jasper Carrot
7. Nelson Thomlinson Mike Beazley
· Our Welcome team of Rob Wilson and Ruth Jones who gave you a friendly welcome.
· Our Buoyancy aids valets and drummers - Christine, Lily & Wilf Clarkson, Ally Barr.
· Our team of cheerful chefs who laid on an outstanding non-stop BBQ for about 120 people (not a frozen burger in sight, just quality meat from Thomasons) - Dan Jordan, Wendy McCarthy, Liz Milne, Lindy Hatfield, Sean Buckley.
· The Shore Organisers for WCCC - Pete Knowles, Alan Ashby.
Racing Tiger Boats requires a quick start, teamwork, coordination and some hard graft - Various levels of all of these were achieved! As the evening went on the races became more and more skilled and competitive with lots of happy cheering. 8 races were packed into a hectic 80 minutes of enthusiastic, non-stop racing.
A new team from Newton Thomlinson Canoe Club put up an outstanding first race time of 1.03.06 however they were beaten in the final by a more experienced team from Penrith Canoe Club who had won the trophy in 2019. Dave Williamson of the Marina presented the Jim Wilson trophy to the winning club, Penrith and said how great it was to have such a friendly event and welcome so many local paddlers.
Media and Photos
Plenty of pictures of the event are on the Cumbria Canoeists and West Cumbria Canoe club facebook pages. Please do go and have a look.
Best wishes and happy paddling in the summer ahead!
Peter Knowles and Alan Ashby for WCCC and Cumbria Canoeists.
Final Times (minutes and seconds)
Penrith 1.02.38 finals race time
Nelson Thomlinson 1.07.35 finals race time
Heats Best Times
Nelson Thomlinson 1.03.06
West Cumbria 2 1.05.81
West Cumbria 1 1.07.84
A big thank you to Derwentwater Marina our hosts for the evening.
Pictures from some of our adventures